Sunday, February 3, 2013

12 challenges for a healthier you

Experimenting with 12  challenges to be more healthy


I ll go week by week adding one step at a time and testing my body to see how it was affected, I encourage all my readers to experiment with me too and post how they feel after each step.. gradually we can all take these steps for a healthier future

Water: Water helps to transports oxygen and nutrients to different parts of the body. Water helps to removes toxins and wastes from the body. Water regulates body temperature through perpetration.


The first step which is the hardest to me is drinking water, my body just never signals to me that it is thirsty unless I was running in a marathon and drinking water to me is like taking a medicine, I tried so much to incorporate water into my daily diet and I failed but this time I am more determined.

First day i tried to drink one cup of water and felt so hard
Second day same thing
Third day I was actually starting to feel a bit thirsty and drinking was easier I bought this new fancy big cup and filled it with water and sipped from it through out the day and I think I drank couple of cups more than usual
A week passed and I actually get thirsty a lot more and I drink a lot easier
A couple of weeks now and water is actually part of my diet, but the trick to me is to fill my big cup on the morning and put it in a place where I ll see it and I keep sipping from it and my kids do the same too. I was actually depriving them from water too cause they learn from our habits.


I didn't feel a burst of energy or anything, but I noticed my coffee and tea intakes are a lot less... Or actually diminished , maybe anther week and I might start feeling a more noticeable effect.



Dr. Ferry doon batmanghelidj an Iranian political prisoner, treated 3000 fellow prisoners during 3 years, who suffered from peptic ulcers, migraines, asthma and other diseases just by water" you are not sick you are thirsty" 
He also opposed the use of drugs for illness saying " you don't treat thirst with medication".




Anther challenge for me this week was skipping the Cheerios cup for my 1 year old, I used to give her this non spill cup of organic low sweetened Cheerios because it kept her busy for hours in the car and during my shopping and it just made life so much easier, she would love to pick them one by one from inside t he cup and eat them and I can do my thing. But I always felt guilty cause first I am teaching her that she has to have food all the time to keep her self busy, second I am letting her know that processed cereal is okay to eat, third even if it is organic it is still not that healthy it is made up of processed oats which no longer carries the nutritions found in whole oats and sugar which is addictive, and it ll fill her up from eating other more nutritious foods and give her a bad habit. 

So the first day when I put her in the car she kept looking for her cup and cried so I distracted her and gave her a cheese stick she nibbled on it then she kept herself busy looking through the window. Second day she looked for her cup I gave her a toy and she was good all the way. Third day she didn't look for it and now i no longer have to give her something to eat all the time to keep her busy in the car or through shopping. I substitute with a toy or a healthy snack that she can nibble on. A very good alternative to Cheerios is corn or peas cause she ll love the sweet taste and the small balls that she can pick one by one. 

Most unhealthy choices that we feed ourselves or our kids are our way of having a shortcut to actually preparing a healthy snack or meal.but there are lots of fast healthy meals for on the go for you kids. Peas, corn, carrots, dried prunes or any dried fruit, cut up apples, avocados... The list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment